Upper St. Croix Lake Sanitary District

(715) 378-2610 usclsd38@gmail.com

The Upper St. Croix Lake Sanitary District is a municipal sewer system created by the Town Board of Solon Springs through agreements and ordinances. The system was constructed throughout areas of the Town of Solon Springs between 1988 and 1990. The sewer flows from this system run into the Village of Solon Springs sewer system where it is treated. The District pays the Village of Solon Springs $5.17 for every 1,000 gallons of sewer running into their system.

A Commission, comprised of three members is elected by residents in the Town of Solon Springs. Each Commission member hold a two year term. The Commission’s duties are to oversee operations of the Upper St. Croix Lake Sanitary Districts. These board members convene for a monthly meeting, every first Monday of the month at 6:00 p.m. at the District’s building located at 9654 E. County Road A, Solon Springs, WI 54873. The District has two maintenance men and one secretary/treasurer who all can be reached by calling (715) 378-2610.
Current quarterly sewer fees are $142.00 each quarter, billed four times a year. Payments can be sent in the mail by check or money order to P. O. Box 140, Solon Springs, WI 54873 or placed in the drop box located at the District’s building at 9654 E. County Road A. All delinquent fees as of November 1st are placed on the tax rolls for collection.

This sewer system consists of both a gravity and pressure sewer system. The gravity system requires very little maintenance, not like the pressure system which consists of grinder pumps and electrical panels. Some properties share a grinder pump and panel, but most have one of their own. The District maintains each grinder pump, panel and private sewer lateral up the cleanout located just outside the home. Since the sewer system is over 30 years old, more and more maintenance is required. There is a warning light on the electrical panel that will light up red if something is wrong with the pump or panel. If a light turns red you should call the district at once.

All new homes or any buildings with bathroom facilities that will be located within 300′ of the District sewer lines must connect to the sewer. A sewer assessment of $2,200.00 is charged to all new types of construction that will have bathroom facilities, unless it is on a property that has already been assessed.
When a property owner plans to connect to the District’s sewer system, they must complete an application. The application along with the sewer assessment must be submitted to the District’s Commission for their approval before connecting to the sewer. Applications can be obtained from the District by calling or emailing the District (715) 378-2610 or usclsd38@gmail.com.

There are two different applications, one for a gravity sewer system connection and one for a pressure system connection. Along with the application an easement form will be provided to the property owner to sign in front of a notary public. This is required to be on file and registered at Douglas County Register of Deeds that will be attached to the property in order for the District maintenance crew to legally enter onto the property in the event maintenance is required.

1) For a gravity sewer connection no pump or panel is required. However, all sewer connections must be made by a licensed plumber under the inspection of the District. For this inspection a $25.00 fee is required, which should also be included with the application. The permit is to be signed by the property owner and licensed plumber.

2) For a pressure sewer connection, a pump and panel maybe required depending on the location. If a pump and panel are required, the property owner is responsible to hire a contractor who can install a pump and panel similar to the type the District uses. The Commission needs to approve the type of equipment before it can be installed. A licensed plumber must do the connection under the inspection of the District. For this inspection a $25.00 fee is required, which should also be included with the application. The permit is to be signed by the property owner and licensed plumber.